Monday, September 17, 2007

What I Learned

Despite the fact that I am the "teacher" , when it comes to technology I learn quite a lot from my students. Recently, I interviewed them and found that they know "way" more about current technology than I could ever imagine. For instance, they know about how to use texting, instant messaging, iPods, gaming cubes, and so much more. The finniest part of it is that they do not even really know how they learned it. That's right.When asked how do you know this, many said they "just knew". I guess they are a product of on the job training quadrupled.+

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I definitely agree that most students know way more about technology than they even know that they know. And they certainly don't know how they know it. I even find that is true about myself. Most of the technology I do know how to use I just somehow figured out along the way. It was somewhat difficult to write my technology autobiography because I don't remember when or how I learned most of the things that I know.

It makes me wonder, would I be more efficient if I had been taught these things explicitely or do I know more from having to figure it out? What is the best way to expose our students to new technologies? Do we teach them exactly how to do things and exactly what we want or do we let them experiment and see what they come up with?

Keith McCullough said...

The reason students just know things about technology is because it is embedded within society and particularly in the lives of the students daily. They go home to electronic games, HD televisions, cell phones, and the like. By default, they just know.

DIVA said...

Lisa, I agree 100%. There have been times when I have struggled trying to figure out how technology works, but as soon as I give it to a student they resolve it like it was nothing. Cudos to the students.

TFKT said...

What's awesome about you is that you realize how much more some of you students may know technology than you. In my opinion, it takes self confidence to be able to be open enough to learn from your students rather than always having to be the person with the answers.
I agree with Keith's comment, the kids really are embedded with technology from day one!